Another one of those “stop and think about this” moments interrupted the minister’s sermon for me. I’ve always known the devil told a lie about not dying. The one Eve believed, though I could not understand how. As I stopped and thought, I realized there was much more to it.
Before going further, two things must be established. God is Truth and the Spirit of Truth. In Him is no lie. He speaks only what is True. (John 14:6, 17, 15:26, 16:13, Numbers 23:19, etc.) On the other hand, the devil (serpent) is a liar and the father of lies. Lying is the only language he can speak. (John 8:44) Since he cannot tell the truth, he twists it as much as needed to make it sound believable, so as to deceive those who will listen to and serve him.
Genesis 3:4-5 NIV “You will not surely die,” the serpent said to the woman. “For God knows that when you eat of it your eyes will be opened, and you will be like God, knowing good and evil.”
These verses contain not one lie, but four – all concerning the consequences of eating the fruit of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil. Eve believed all four. How many of the four lies have I believed because I failed to consider who spoke?
- He told Eve she would not surely die . . . but he lied. She died immediately in her spirit.
- He said her eyes would be opened . . . but he lied. Instead, she instantly lost her vision and became spiritually blind. What she saw when her eyes were opened was her sinfulness (v.7). She could no longer see God, being consigned to hearing Him only (v.8, 10).
- He told her she would be like God . . . but he lied. Because Eve was created from Adam, who was created in the image of God, she was already like God. When she ate of the fruit, she actually took on the sin nature and became unlike Him.
- He told her she would be like God, knowing good and evil . . . but he lied again. Eve had intimately known perfect Goodness before. God knows evil only from afar, not as a part of His nature. After eating, Eve knew within herself a sin-corrupted counterfeit of good. She had tasted and received evil and its effects. In reality, she now knew only anti-Good, anti-God, anti-Christ.
- I started out this life dead because of Adam and Eve. Only because of Jesus Christ and Him crucified for my sin and rising again in righteousness have I received eternal life. I had to be born again.
- I was blind because I descended from Adam and Eve, who passed their chosen blindness along to me. What I see with my natural eyes and mind is counterfeit, twisted, and perverted, for it comes from the liar and father of lies. When I ate of the Tree of Life, receiving Jesus Christ, I lost that blinded sin nature and received His sight.
- Only in Christ Jesus am I like God, not by any self-effort to be like Him.
- God is all Good. What I see with natural eyes that seems good doesn’t even begin to compare to His Goodness. Only in Christ Jesus, and with His eyes, do I see true Goodness. Only in and through Him will Goodness be made known to others through me.